Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Back to Running

And it feels great. The 10 days off really helped out and I'm not feeling any knee pain. I've been thinking about scaling back (though there is not much volume from which to scale back) or eliminating weights entirely. I haven't seen any empirical studies showing that lifting weights improves power on the bike. The studies I have seen have concluded weights do not increase power at lactate threshold. See e.g., Jackson NP, Hickey MS, Reiser RF 2nd., High resistance/low repetition vs. low resistance/high repetition training: effects on performance of trained cyclists. I have been lifting (very light) mainly to prevent injury; however it seems that whenever I do lift, I only bring on injuries. So I haven't decided for sure, but am seriously contemplating time off at the gym (which in turn, I could allocate to swim, bike, or run). Irrespective of whether I continue to lift, I will continue with my core work.

On a different note, here is a movie of some clips from one of the best bands ever......

No comments: