Thursday, August 20, 2009

Thursday: 64 mile bike; 9 mile run

Ironman Preparation Day 4: Overgear Riding + Run Endurance

S: Off.

B: 3 hours w/3x10 min overgear, 10 min recovery. 64 miles.

R: 9 miles.

W: Abs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I spent tonight studying my data from the same time last year. At this point in my training, I had already ridden several steady rides at Ironman pace. I haven't ridden any thus far this year. Having said that, I am much more powerful this year, no question about it. I recover day-to-day much quicker and I am able to push my power up like I have never done before, so things are looking good for the bike. I am confident that I will be close to my target once I peak.

I had a solid run tonight, not fast by any stretch of the imagination, but given the lack of run training the whole year, not bad. Based on my 9 mile run tonight, I am about 5-10 sec per mile slower than I was at this time last year. I expect my pace to increase quite bit though over the next 2-4 weeks as I get some more miles under my legs. Right now, I am completely relying on my cardiovascular strength gained from biking. As soon as my legs get used to running again, I am hopeful I will be faster than last year fairly quickly; I am stronger this year and in much better overall shape.

No comments: