Friday, May 16, 2008

Friday: 56 mile bike; 12 mile run

The purpose of the day was to continue to recover but also to open up the muscles somewhat and get the neurons firing in preparation for tomorrow's difficult field test. So today was another relatively easy day, but not a true recovery day--I had spurts of pushing around 250 watts for example and my run was faster than a true recovery day.

I started with an 80 minute run. 9.19 miles. 8:41min/mi. 139bpm. I felt good but started to develop some blisters which hopefully won't become worse. I'm going to put some new shoes on tomorrow.

For the bike, I rode 56 miles easy. While running, the heart rate monitor cut my chest--this is something that has happened before--so I didn't wear one for the bike. This is not a good time to go without a heart rate monitor as starting next week, it is important that I stay in a specific heart rate range. I'll explain more about my upcoming training within the next couple of days....

In any event, for the ride, I wanted to get an easy ride in but not a recovery ride. Without a heart monitor on, I mostly went by feel and looked at my watts occasionally. I felt fresh throughout and had to hold myself back--a sign that I am recovering from the last few weeks. Total ride: FL: 2:40:30; 210w; ###bpm; 82rpm; 20.9mph.

I followed the ride with a 3.14 brick run. No heart rate monitor. Initially I had planned to run very easy, in my recovery zone, but I felt good, and just went with it. 8:04 min/mi.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it redundant to write the day of the week when in a blog the date is automatically posted above your post for the day???

Ironboom said...

You would think so, but it turns out that it is not redundant. I write the day of the week for various reasons, in part because I think it is easier to read and follow, but more importantly because it allows me to look in the archives and figure exactly what I did on any given day, which I otherwise would not be able to do quickly if I relied on the dated stamp.

Furthermore, I can look to the archives and quickly count up my volume and figure out what it was for the last week or any other week.

So for example, if you click on May in the archives, you will see every day listed and what I did on that day. It is then easy to click to that post and get the details.

Also, I can use the search engine to search all Mondays or all Tuesdays and see how I am progressing depending on each day, again which I otherwise wouldn't be able to do should I not write down the day of the week.