Sunday, May 11, 2008

Sunday: 112 mile bike; 9 mile run; abs

Today turned out to be a mammoth of a day. It was much of a rollercoaster, but overall, it hurt. I got my work cut out for me.

In the morning, I ran 6.4 miles in 50 minutes. I felt sluggish for the first mile, but then loosened up and felt ok for the rest of the run. 8:08 min/mi; 154bpm.



A few hours later, I got on the bike. I had planned to ride 56 miles twice today. However, I was running short on time and so decided to just ride 112 all at once. I didn't want to bike too hard, but just wanted to get it done, zone 1. I thought it be a good endurance test; it didn't go that well.

Within the first 30 minutes, I wanted to get off. I was just not feeling it today. I told myself to stay on and just do 56. At the hour marker though, I was really struggling and didn't think I could go anymore. I stopped pedaling for a second, but then told myself just to ride 10 minutes more. 10 minutes later--and 70 minutes into the ride--I wfinally started to feel ok, though I never felt great at any point on the ride.

I was ok until I hit the 80 mile marker. From that point on, I suffered. I felt okay physically, but mentally, I was really hurting. You seriously start going crazy from sitting on the trainer for 4-5 hours--one of the reasons why I usually like to break up a 112 mile ride into two; one in the a.m. and one in the p.m.-and this ride was no different. I thought I was going to lose my mind. However, I just kept going and couldn't have been happier when I finished. I drank 4 32FL/oz bottles of Gatorade and 1L of water for the ride.

Surprisingly, my stats post-ride turned out to be ok. I averaged 239 watts, 136bpm for the first 56; and 248 watts, 143 bpm for the second half. So I increased power despite feeling like crap. Total ride was 241w; 139bpm.

The biggest surprise of all though was that when I finally got off the bike, I felt great on the brick run. I was sort of in shock as I was expecting to feel as awful as I felt on the ride. So though I ran slow, that second run was the best part of the day. 2.50 mile brick run; 9:00 min/mi.




Week Summary.

Looking back at my training log, I had a great week. I biked 378 miles and ran 37.67 miles. Next week is recovery.

No comments: