Saturday, May 17, 2008

Saturday: 40 mile bike; 10 mile run

Today I performed a Field Test on the bike to determine my training zones for the upcoming Tempo phase. I did not feel great at all and was definitely lacking power. I warmed up for 24 miles and then did the test. My average heart rate was 159bpm for the time trial. Considering that 159bpm is the top of my zone 2 and aerobic threshold and that my average heart rate the last time I performed the test was 175bpm should tell you that something was off. In any event, I'll go by the results of the test and try to retest in a couple of weeks. Based on the results, I will perform my tempo rides at 251w-268w, 70-75rpm. Those wattage numbers will come up as I ride within what has usually been my Tempo heart rate zone: 154-158bpm. The goal of the four week tempo phase is to build up to riding comfortably within this wattage range for 2 hours and 25 minutes.

Prior to the test, I ran 6 miles, and followed the test with a 4 mile brick run.

No comments: