Monday, March 24, 2008

Monday: 56 mile bike

Recovery ride for 56 miles. Felt very good with no soreness from the weekend. Achilles is still bothering me a little but not nearly as bad as before. For the ride, I drank 2L of water, but took in no calories. For recovery rides, I tend to need only water and don't really crave anything else, though I don't intentionally withhold eating or drinking calories. This is probably a good thing as I am trying to shed some pounds. The stats for the ride were as follows: FL: 2:49:54; 183w; 117bpm; 79rpm; 19.8mph. One observation I have noticed as I have become more fit is that my heart rate drops very quickly after working out, especially when I don't stress myself too much, such as after recovery rides. After tonight's ride, literally within 90 seconds, my heart rate was down to 59bpm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems that you aren't training hard enough in terms of intensity per workout. Shouldn't you be training in zone 2 more?

Ironboom said...

A quick response. I'll try to elaborate more later. I think it's way too early to start doing intense rides. In fact, I doubt I'll ever get out of zone 2 for the entire year. The key for me now is to build endurance. Ironman is really an endurance test. My plan is peak once and only once in November. 30+ weeks out is still too early to begin strict Zone 2 rides. I spent 16 weeks in my foundation phase which wasn't limited to zone 1, but rather to a HR cap of 156bpm. However, that is just a cap most of my riding as you noted was around 120-140bpm. I'll spend the next 8 weeks at a HR cap of 159bpm, the top of my aerobic zone. However, especially for the next four weeks I don't expect to average even close to this. Four weeks later, I'll be averaging 154-158bpm for a good chunk of the rides. The key now is to get used to riding huge volume and not get injured. Good things happen by riding a lot, even if all easy. I'll explain more when I have more time later.