Friday, March 7, 2008

Update

Well, it's been a while since I last provided an update. I got very busy at work billing my highest total hour output in my career in February. I have been continuing to train pretty consistently (which means I have been sleeping only 4-6 hours a night) and will provide the workouts shortly.

As a quick update, I am in Foundation Week 14. After this week, I will have two more weeks of foundation and the begin my endurance period. The endurance period is similar to but differentiated from the foundation period by a slightly higher heart rate cap. Volume will increases as well. I am schedules to do Ironman Florida 70.3 in less than 11 weeks. However, I am not training specifically for this race and do not care much about the time or short-term improvements. My only goal is to peak in November. So I do not plan on doing any workouts at half ironman pace (I am not even training at Ironman pace yet), just gradually increasing the volume.

I have built up to 300miles biking and 30 miles running. My running suffered a little as I had to deal with a minor injury. The last three weeks of running have been 24, 28, and 31 miles. Rather than jumping up the running miles too quickly again, I decided to build up slowly to let the injury heal. I'm not too concerned about the relatively low volume as it's still very early. Biking has been in the 250-300mi range. This week will end up being around 34-35 running and 310 biking. All workout have been limited to zone 1 and zone 2, capped at 156bpm (though I rarely get even close to this cap, particularly on the bike). Having said that, I am currently not using a heart rate monitor but training by pace, watts, and PE (I cut my chest pretty badly while using an old HR montior during a run and am letting that heal). I think I have a pretty good idea of where my heart rate is at certain watts and paces so I will train monitor-less until the cut heals or I enter the endurance phase, whichever comes first.

I will begin updating on a more regular basis, if for no other reason than because I think it will motivate me to train harder.

No comments: