Saturday, March 15, 2008

Saturday: 6 mile run; 82 mile bike

I've started out the day with a 3 mile recovery run. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what do for recovery runs. According to the McMillan calculator, my recovery runs should be around 9:11-9:41. While I don't think is too slow a pace to run, I feel like it creates more pounding than usual. So I have started to walk instead and keep the pace somewhat elevated during recovery runs. By elevated, I mean for me of course, which isn't very fast. This morning I ran for 9 minutes and then walked for 1 minute. The total run was 30 minutes long. I didn't walk the 30th minute.

I started out running the first mile at 8:49min/mi pace, and then walked a minute. However, while that pace is on the lower end of my aerobic runs, and though I felt good, I also felt that it was too fast for recovery. So for the remainder 2 miles, I ran at 8:57min/mi pace. I think that is probably about the right pace if I include walk breaks. The total run including walk breaks was 30 minutes, 3.31 miles, 9:04min/mi pace.

Next workout was a 56 mile bike followed by a 3 miles brick. I rode the Florida 70.3 course. Felt fantastic at the beginning, but then mentally began to fade after two hours. I at more than I usually do for a 56 mile ride, eating a powerbar and a pria bar, drinking a 32oz bottle of gatorade, and a 1.5L bottle of water. I thought I might have been bonking with the mental fade so just put down as many calories as possible. Normally, I just drink water and some gatorade during a 56 mile bike. During my last Ironman, I didn't eat anything on the bike except gatorade and water. Total for the ride was FL: 2:44:36; 197w; ###bpm; 84rpm; 20.4mph. I felt fine during the brick run after the first 5 minutes though my back has been acting up. Run was 3.08 miles at 8:45 min/mi pace.

Finished off with an additional bike ride of 26 miles at 196w. Felt much better on this ride than the first ride. Total for the day was 82 miles.

1 comment:

Brandon Grusd said...

Why not just bike 6 miles in a row?