Saturday, March 29, 2008

Saturday: 56 mile bike

56 mile ride. Heart rate was high from the beginning, probably still from the lack of sleep, crappy food and alcohol throughout the week. But legs felt very good so rode a little harder than I have been lately. Rode the first 2 hours at around 220 watts, and then the last 34 minutes at Ironman race pace (250-270w), remaining under my heart rate cap (and zone 2 and aerobic threshold) of 159bpm throughout. It actually felt kind of easy. Total ride: FL: 2:33:49; 234w; 147bpm; 79rpm; 21.8mph. I expect my heart rate to come down as I begin to do more race pace rides and get back to sleeping and eating healthy. But overall, I am happy with the effort and feel confident that I am on pace to reach my goal of a 260-270w Ironman bike ride in November.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shouldn't you be holding 250-270 for the whole ride?

Ironboom said...

Eventually, yes. But it is still too early to be going that hard for that long.