Sunday, March 23, 2008

Sunday: 4 mile run; 82 mile bike; week recap

Woke up and my achilles was still tender but not as bad as the last several days. So that's good news. Ran 4.37 mile recovery run at 9:09min/mi. I haven't been wearing a heart rate monitor while I have been running and have been training by pace. However, I am curious as to what my heart rate levels are during my runs. So I may strap one on for some of my runs next week for purposes of observation only.

Took an hour break or so and got on the bike for 56 miles. I am feeling great on the bike. My fitness has really spiked in the last couple of weeks, all from zone 1 riding. I was planning on taking it easy yesterday and then doing a bike field test today to see where my fitness is. However, based on the data from my rides, I know my fitness has increased. I don't really need new training wattage zones for another four weeks. As of and for now, I'm just training by heart rate. And because I can't run my normal volume, I decided to skip the test and focus on biking volume for the weekend. My rides have been easy and comfortable. Monday through Saturday served as recovery. And so I don't think I have overstressed myself by biking more than planned for this week. I'm feeling very strong and confident. Today's first ride: FL: 2:39:25; 214w; 131bpm; 82rpm; 21.1mph.

p.m. Recovery ride for 80 minutes. 26 miles. Felt good but heart rate, probably to be expected, was about 10bpm higher than normal. 177w. 82 biking miles for the day.

Week summary. Pretty good week overall. This was my final week in my foundation phase, which has lasted the last 16 weeks. I felt good throughout and really feel like my fitness is improving. The data on my rides seem to confirm that. Obviously, I am upset about my achilles. But it seems to be getting better and there is still plenty of time. So I am not too concerned. I am feeling more motivated than ever. Total for the week: 23 miles running, which was only about 10 miles fewer than I had scheduled. So not too bad. 325 miles biking.

No comments: