Sunday, March 30, 2008

Sunday: 56 mile bike + week recap

Legs felt good again today. After reading one of Lance Armstrong's books last night, I sorta felt inspired to go for it, though I still remained under my heart rate cap (159bpm). Rode the first 2 hours with an average of around 240-242 watts. Then finished off the last 30 minutes increasing the effort up to my higher aerobic end (156-159bpm), which corresponded to about 270-280 watts. I felt like I was flying, though obviously being on the trainer, I wasn't moving at all! Drank 32 oz of Gatorade, 1.5L of water, and ate half a Powerbar. Total ride: FL: 2:30:18; 249w; 151bpm; 80rpm; 22.4mph.

Week Recap.

Overall volume was very low as I couldn't run. Bike volume was lower than expected as well. But my achilles is feeling better so I'm happy about that. I also had a couple good rides at the end of the week. I will start running again next week. Bike: 266 miles. Run: 2 miles.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

With this results so early, shouldn't you reevaluate your goal and aim for 280-300 watts for the whole IM?

Ironboom said...

Well, my training protocol isn't going to change. I threw out 260-270 after the last Ironman because I thought that was a realistic goal and something I could strive towards. It still is, as I have yet to do it for 112 miles. I have yet to complete any stressful training, as I have really only done zone 1 rides. So I expect that I will improve a lot from now until November. Obviously, I would be ecstatic to ride 280-300, but I don't want to ride that hard at the expense of screwing up my run. If I am capable of riding that hard and remain in my aerobic zone, then that is what I'll go for. In short, my goal is to maximize my average watts while staying in the higher end of my aerobic zone (156-159bpm) whatever, the watts land up being. The Ironman is not a bike race, and though my biking is a lot better than my run, I firmly believe I will be able to run a 3:30 marathon, if I stay in my aerobic zone throughout the bike.

Anonymous said...

Why u change the colors, don't like it.

Ironboom said...

Just for the hell of it.