Sunday, March 16, 2008

Sunday: 3 mile run; 112 mile bike; week recap + upcoming training

Started out with a 3.39 mile run. 8:50min/mi pace. Then strapped on the heart rate monitor for the first time in a couple weeks. I'm glad I did. One of the best days I have ever had on the bike. And the heart rate monitor confirmed it. Rode the Florida 70.3 course on the computrainer. I averaged 200 watts at a heart rate of 126bpm. Though those watts are not nearly as high as my best rides, that is the lowest my heart rate has been for that kind of power. I had a comparable ride two weekends ago, where I averaged 129bpm at 206watts. Both were great rides for me. And so I can tell even by just doing these zone 1 rides, I am become much fitter. Next week, as I explain below, hopefully will confirm it. I ended the day with another 56 miles. 201w.

Overall, it was a pretty good week, running 41 miles and biking close to 300 miles. Looking back at my training log, I had a weak spot on Monday, where I didn't bike. And I could've biked a few more times throughout the week to continue bringing up the volume. I would like to be able to achieve 300 miles biking without having to rely on two big bike days on Saturday and Sunday, though I still plan on riding close to 112 miles every Saturday and Sunday.

Next week is a recovery week, which is the final week of my 16 week foundation phase. The volume will increase slightly, but most of my runs will be in my recovery zones. Recovery runs include running at about 9min/mi and walking every 9th minute. My recovery bike zone is 114-123 bpm at 75-85 rpm. On Sunday, I will conduct a field test on the bike to see where my fitness is compared to the beginning of the foundation phase, what will then be 16 weeks ago.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are you training for the Tour de France. That is a monster weekend on the bike.