Sunday, June 29, 2008

Sunday: 100 mile bike; 2 mile run; 1.5 mile swim; abs

Went for quick 1.5 mile swim -- quick as in 45 minutes. Yeah, not that quick.

Then ate breakfast and hopped on the bike about half an hour later. I was running short on time today as I needed to work and also catch a flight later this evening so I wasn't going to be able to do two rides. It's probably about time that I start doing the long rides now, now that the race is 18 weeks away--though I had really only planned on getting the long ride in starting 13 weeks out.

As soon as I got on the bike, I knew I was going to have a good ride. My heart rate started out a little high because I had just eaten, but my legs were feeling very strong. I never hit any rough patches physically during the ride, but mentally, it got pretty tough around the 80 mile marker -- the reason why I don't like riding much more than that in doors. I have a lot of work to do. 100 miles--and 112--is a lot different than 56 which I have been getting used to. I was starting to go a little crazy, but at least I had Wimbledon and the Eurocup Soccer final to keep my mind occupied. Switched off between Gatorade and water every ten minutes. At 80 miles I ate half a Cadbury milk chocolate bar with caramel -- those things are frickin good. And then after that, I just wanted more, but didn't have any more by the bike. I couldn't wait to get off. 100 miles. 4:24; 251w. 143bpm. 81rpm. 22.6mph.



Followed the ride with a 2 mile brick run. 7:32 min/mi. Legs felt good but was feeling hot and after the first mile, I felt like I need some more calories which I didn't have with me. Again, while it is fun to run faster, I need to slow it down for another 10 weeks and work on the volume. The race isn't today but 18-19 week from today.

I have to go catch a flight now, but will try to get an easy 4 mile recovery run tonight. I will be away until Wednesday night so my biking volume is going to be off. I plan to make it up on the 4th and hopefully will be able to get on the stationary bike for a couple rides while out. Not ideal especially considering that my volume overall for swim, bike, and run is lower than where I want it to be at this point, but better than nothing.

Week summary: 322 mile bike; 30 mile run; 5.5 mile swim. Need to bring it up.

Got in at midnight and was debating whether it would be better recovery to get a quick 15 minutes in or just go to sleep. I am opting for the sleep as I have to up in five and half hours. My run volume is way too low though to run a good marathon.

No comments: