Thursday, July 3, 2008

Thursday: 56 mile bike; 6 mile run; 2 mile swim

I was finally able to get back into my routine today. Started with a 2 mile swim. It took around an hour. Though I am still very slow, I am definitely starting to feel more comfortable in the water. I have no problem swimming for 2-3 miles without stopping. I am getting into a good groove and am actually starting to enjoy going to the pool more. I think I will try to get a few more sessions than I initially had planned; however only to the extent that it doesn't impact my bike and run training.

I then did a fairly easy 56 mile ride, though not a recovery ride. I felt much better than I had expected. Legs felt pretty good throughout. FL: 2:35:49; 218w; 137bpm; 81rpm; 21.6 mph.

Followed the bike with a 6.5 mile brick run. My running is definitely starting to improve. 8:10min/mi. No heart rate monitor. But I felt great.

I had absolutely zero calories for the bike/run workout. I only drank water during the bike and nothing during the run. Two things that I have noticed as I become more fit. First, I have noticed that I don't get as hungry as I used and certainly don't need to eat as much as I used to on and off the bike. For low heart rate workouts such as today's bike, I don't really need any calories at all. My body seems to have become more efficient at getting whatever it needs.

The second thing that I have noticed is that, believe it or not, I now run much better off the bike than I do standalone. When a run standalone I feel sluggish and slow. When I run off the bike I have to constantly hold myself back from going too hard.

No comments: