Monday, September 8, 2008

Monday: 87 mile bike; 1 mile run; abs

Tempo - Session 1
4 hours w/60 min Tempo

Today was my first Tempo session. I was very excited throughout the day, looking forward to the ride. At the same time, I was pretty nervous. I have worked all year for this bloc. And these sessions hurt. They are definitely not fun. They are painful, especially indoors. And so I don't particularly like them.

But I know they work. For the entire year, I have biked in zone 1 and low zone 2. But I have basically biked depending on how I was feeling that day. The Tempo bloc is much more structured. And so even if I don't feel that great on any given day, I still have to do the sessions. Furthermore, I thought today especially was going to hurt, as it was the first session.

And it did. The first 20 minutes of the Tempo ride was a shock to the system. My legs were screaming at me, "What they f$ck are you doing?" But eventually I settled in and then felt pretty good.

I rode for easy for 2 hours. Then I did 1 hour of Tempo at 275watts. And then I rode 1 hour easy. Total ride: 4 hours. 87 miles. 236w. 140bpm.

My heart rate was high today, probably because I was rested and also probably because I lost some fitness last week. But I am sort of glad it was. I am doing the Tempo sessions based on heart rate. And pushing more than 275 watts right out of the gate would have been very painful.

I followed the ride with a 1.5 mile brick run to see how the legs were feeling. They felt good. 8:40min/mi. But I am sad to report that my shins did not feel great. I didn't run long enough to really test them out, and so it may have been and hopefully was, just mental.

No comments: