Saturday, September 6, 2008

Saturday: 20 mile bike; 1 mile swim; abs

Having trashed myself last week and not recovered well, I've decided to take this weekend very easy, the easiest I think I have gone during a weekend all year, to get ready for my main Ironman specific training. Initially, this was going to be a big volume week, but my body has shut down after destroying myself last week and then doing virtually nothing on Tuesday and Wednesday.

My body is telling me something and I don't want to risk what I have worked towards all year only to ruin it at the crucial moment. My energy levels have been down and my muscles ache more than they have in a long time. My achilles, for whatever reason, started to hurt yesterday, even though the last time I ran was on Tuesday. My body is retaining everything I eat and drink probably expecting the next monster workout (and yet I still feel dehydrated); I haven't taken a deuce since Wednesday.

Mentally though, I feel very good. My motivation is very high, and its been an inner struggle all day to stop myself from riding or swimming longer (or running at all). But it's just not worth it. I want to be fresh both mentally and physically on Monday.

I actually think this little break is good for me; starting Monday, it will be very tough until the race.

1 miles swim. ~30 minutes.

20 mile bike. 190w. 117bpm

No comments: