Thursday, September 11, 2008

Thursday: 20 mile bike; 10 mile run

I had to work late and so only started my workout at 11:30pm. I wasn't about to miss a day of training less than 8 weeks out. I hadn't really run in almost 10 days and Friday is another Tempo day, so I wanted at least a short recovery ride in before that. I actually really enjoy the late workouts. The goal was to get in a mid-long run and a recovery bike.

Night runs on Thursday-Saturday are great because everyone is out at the bars drunk. I love to run by them. I was wearing my compression socks pulled high up and short shorts, looking like a complete idiot. Money!

Loaded up the Garmin. Turned on the iShuffle. First song to come on was Rocky, Gonna Fly Now. Awesome! I got totally pumped up right off the bat so I decided to run by the bars. Always extra motivation.

I started with what felt like 7 minute miles. I had visions of winning the Ironman! Passed by some drunk chicks. Yelled hello to them. Passed by some homeless people. Waved to them. Was getting some very weird looks. I was feeling awesome, if not like Chris McCormack, then like Rocky. I must have played that song at least 10 times throughout the run.

Got to the first mile split. Was expecting at least 7:30s if not lower.

Looked at the Garmin. 9 minute miles. Shit! Realizing that I was going too slow to be wearing short shorts and compression socks and pumping my fist wildly in the air, I soon put my head down, stopped waving to everyone and switched my route. I had to do little detour so I didn't run by the bars again.

I then ran toward the wilderness park, which can actually be a little scary at night. But then as I was getting there, I finally settled in without too much more effort (I wasn't wearing a HR monitor though) and then completely got in a zone. I gradually picked up the pace for the remainder of the run. This was the best run I have had in a long time. Total run. 10.26 miles. 1:22:14. 8:00min/mi.


As soon as I got home, I turned on the tent. It takes at least 30 minutes to load up. (I am now at 10,200 feet). So I covered up the clock by the bike and got on for what I initially thought was going to be 30 minutes. Once on though, I felt pretty good and seriously wanted to stay on for 100 miles. That would have been stupid and ruined the weekend's training as well as work tomorrow. So I let myself go for the hour and then got off. 20 miles. 185w. Landed up being a very fun workout.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to try running by the bars sometime, except I fall asleep to early. Do you plan on any half's or olympics before IMFL?

Ironboom said...

Yeah, it's definitely fun.

I am not signed up for any races between now and IMFL. But I think I should do one to get mentally prepared for Nov 1 and simulate race conditions/mentality.

The one problem with racing is that Saturday and Sunday generally tend to be my big training days and so I would rather train and get the volume in then do a race. It's also tought to fly out on Friday for a weekend because of work. And of course, I wouldn't taper for it.