Monday, October 27, 2008

Monday: 24 mile bike; 1 mile swim; abs

1 mile swim. Starting to feel better/smoother in the water.

Then tonight the hot chick unexpectedly stopped over with a huge bowl of homecooked pasta, which will be great as I begin to carboload. The bowl is massive so I should definitely have enough carbs in me come race day. Then hopped on the bike for a 1 hour 20 minute recovery ride. 24 miles. 170w.

Tomorrow I am probably going to have one final big day before the race. I have been going back and forth about this. Traditional training programs that I have looked at all tend to be very easy the week of the race.

However, I have looked over my training log and I tend not to ride as well on Saturdays if my week is too easy--I feel sluggish and my legs shut down. My best rides have come after having ridden long four days before.

And so judging by my past training, and having a good sense of how my body reacts to certain workouts, I will very likely do a long but easy/moderate ride tomorrow, the purpose of which is to keep the engine running and also deplete all my glycogen stores. I will have plenty of time to recover by Saturday and in theory (and based on my training--in practice as well) my body will super-compensate by increasing its fuel reserves in anticipation of another long ride. I read about this super-compensation effect in one of Chris Carmichael's books, and I believe it works for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey we want to wtach your progress - what's your bib #? - C

Ironboom said...

I'll post it when I get to Florida. I haven't looked it up yet.