Thursday, October 16, 2008

Thursday: 20 mile bike; 26 mile run; abs

a.m. 21 mile run. 8:14min/mi. 9 miles with the hot chick. 8:43. I'm glad my shins held up. Fun run.

I then continued on for another 12 miles. I reset my watch when I continued on. Here are the splits for miles 10-21. 7:49min/mi.


My cardiovascular system has far surpassed my muscular endurance. I am definitely lacking long runs and wish I had done more of them. While my breathing was minimal, this run wasn't as comfortable as I had hoped. My legs started to hurt at the 12 mile marker and I wanted to stop from then on until the end. On the other hand, I didn't actually feel tired at all. So I continued going because I need to get used to the pain I'll be feeling during the race and need the confidence that I can run the distance.

Once I finished the run, however, I was very surprised that throughout the day, I felt little fatigue and had little soreness. In fact, I felt like I hadn't worked out at all, which pleased me.

p.m. 20 mile recovery ride. 200w. followed by a 5 mile brick run. 7:24 min/mi

2 comments:

IronZoom said...

How are you feeling after running 26 miles? That's a lot of miles to run on one day, so close to your race.

Ironboom said...

Charles, yes, 26 was a lot to run. I needed to do it so that mentally I have the confidence that I can do it on race day. My run training has not been what I had hoped throughout the year and pushing up the miles so close to the race may not be--never mind maybe, is not--the best strategy. On the other hand, I have been completely surprised how well my body has been holding up. I haven't felt like I did much at all. I won't run that long again though until the race.