Sunday, October 12, 2008

Sunday: 120 mile bike; 1 mile run; abs

Shoulder was a little tender this morning--not sure why--so out of an abundance of caution, I skipped the swim today.

Hopped on the bike for a race simulation ride. I got inspired by watching Kona yesterday. 120 miles. 5:06. 283w. No heart rate monitor. This was not a fun ride. It wasn't too painful but took a lot of concentration. There was never a point where I could just relax.

I averaged 291w for the first 56 miles. I started to hurt at that point and tail off a little. I chugged some Red Bull and then felt better starting from about 80 miles to 112. I averaged 284w (287w normalized) for 112 and then finished off the ride to get to 120 miles. I chugged another Red Bull along the way and drank Gatorade every 10 minutes with water in between. I drank too much water I think as I had to go to the bathroom 3 times.


I tried to brick it so I could see how my legs held up. Unfortunately, my shins hurt so I only got a mile in and had to stop. 8:03min/mi. My legs otherwise felt ok, but a little wobbly. I didn't feel as fresh as after having biked 250 or 260 watts but I didn't get far enough to really know how they would respond 3-5 miles in. Nevertheless, it may have been too hard to run solidly afterwards. I'll have to try that kind of power again soon to figure it out.

No comments: