Thursday, October 23, 2008

Thursday: 46 mile bike; 1 mile swim

I am starting to get really nervous. This is probably the most nervous I have ever been for anything in my life. I have a lot of doubts and "should haves" starting to creep in. I wish I had had a few more bigger weeks. I wish I had done a few more bigger workouts. I wish I had done some longer runs. And I wish I had swum more.

Sub 10 seems ridiculously fast to me right now. Have I really done enough? I feel like I need to have the perfect race--something which never happens in an Ironman--to get there.

On the other hand, while some nerves are appropriate, I'll try to get most of them out my system before the race by focusing on what I can control. I have prepared the best that I possibly could. I've put all my energy into this. And I've rarely missed a day of training unless I was sick or too wrecked to train. I just need to trust that I have in fact done enough. My focus now will be on completing my last few training sessions, getting all my equipment, transition bags, and special needs in order, eating right, sleeping, and making it to the starting line without getting injured or sick.

I ship my bike tomorrow (tonight is my last ride on the racing bike until next Thursday) and leave for Florida next Wednesday. I have most of my gear ready to go as well, which I'll finish packing this weekend.

On the list to take with me:

SWIM
-Sweats for the early morning prior to the race--I hate this part of the day--it's always cold
-Trisuit
-Wetsuit
-2 pairs of Goggles

BIKE
-Aerohelmet - Giro Advantage 2
-Bike shoes - I bought new ones which I need to break in
-Wheels - I made an impulsive buying decision by purchasing the Zipp sub 9 and 1080 two days ago. I put enough time into this, I might as well feel comfortable that I am racing on the best equipment possible. I will be using the Zipp tangente tires.
-Sunglasses for the bike
-Number belt
-Spare tire
-Pump
-Crackpipe
-Allen Wrench

RUN
-Running shoes - Also new ones which I need to break in
-Compression shorts and compression sleeveless top for the run
-Several pairs of new socks
-Sunglasses for the run
-Extra race number belt in case other one falls off during the bike
-Hat for the run
-Advil and salt tablets

MISC
-Vaseline and Bodyglide
-Advil
-Salt Tablets
-Tums
-2 Polar heart rate monitor
-Polar watch
-Garmin watch and Garmin heart rate monitor
-Electrical tape
-Extra magnets
-Scissors
-Extra Allen wrench
-Flashlight
-Water bottles

THINGS TO GET IN FLORIDA
When I get to Florida, I'll need to buy my nutrition and some other parts for the bike
-Red Bull
-Gatorade
-Water
-CO2 cartridges
-Cliff Bars - Probably won't use them for the bike, but will eat a couple before the race
-Snickers Bar
-Gummy Bears

TRAINING GEAR FOR WED-FRI
-Biking shorts
-Biking jerseys
-Biking gloves
-Running shorts
-Running shirts
-Swimsuits
-Socks
-Casual clothes
-Skins recovery tights
-Compression socks

p.m. 1 mile swim.

Followed by 46 mile bike. 2:15. 213w. 122bpm. 78rpm.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wishing you best of luck next Saturday! Go gettem! Ed

BAM said...

dude, i stumbled on your blog a few days ago and really hope you hit your goals. you already did one "just to do it", now go out and kill it! good luck.

brian

Ironboom said...

Ed and Brian, Thanks for the good wishes.

katie b said...

kick ass ED!!!!!!! i found your blog through my coach and am wishing you all the best, fast vibes and smooth sailing come race day. i spectated IMFlorida last year and it looks like a great race. have fun out there but more importantly know you can accomplish your goal and do it!

:)

Ironboom said...

Thanks Katie. Much appreciated.