Monday, August 4, 2008

Monday: 56 mile bike; 1.75 mile swim

I started by swimming 1.5 miles. As I was getting out, this guy in the lane next to me started chatting about swimming. He was clearly much faster than me. It turns out that he was the masters swim coach at the pool. Anyway, I wanted to get out. But he convinced me to do 5 x 100 with him. I had to quickly calculate what that was I am used to thinking in miles. Anyway, I did it. I was struggling to keep up especially since I don't do flip turns. I (as well as my ego) was toast afterwards. I got a lot of work to do.

56 mile recovery ride. FL: 2:50:12; 183w; 123bpm; 78rpm

I went to the podiatrist this morning. He specializes in athletes and is a runner himself. So I felt in good hands. I told him about the shin pain I have been having and that I can't seem to build my miles up. He looked at my orthotics and said they were still good. He then examined my legs and said everything seemed fine. He said there three things probably causing it. First, he asked me if I stretched. I told him no. He said that I need to stretch my calf muscles more often. Then he said that I have a huge muscle imbalance between my calf muscles and the muscles surrounding my shins. Finally, he said that I was running in the wrong type of shoes. He said I needed a motion control shoe. So I went to buy the Brooks Beast. Hopefully that will take care of the problem. I'll still rest for the next few days and try to pick up running later on in the week.

No comments: