Monday, August 25, 2008

Monday: 65 mile bike; 1 mile swim; abs

I felt really fresh today, both in the water and on the bike and even had to hold myself back on the bike. I am pretty sure that my taper will be similar to what I did last week, at least as far as the bike is concerned. It may be a little different depending on where my fitness is come mid-October, but last week seemed to work well for me. The run taper is still yet to be determined of course depending on whether I can get my run in shape.

1 mile swim. ~30 minutes. Felt pretty smooth.

3 hour bike ride. 65 miles. 224w. 134bpm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ironboom,

Do you track total weekly hours, just curious?

Keep it rollin!

DME1

Ironboom said...

DME1, I obsessively track everything. Time. Distance. Heart Rate. Power. Pace. I keep everything in my training log which I created on Excel. I also track running by using Sportracks, which you can download for free. It keeps track of distance, times, heart rate, so you can very everything pretty easily.

I track both by time and distance, but this year I have switched into thinking more about distance. Based on my research of the pros, triathletes and individual sport athletes, the greats all seem to be doing 4-5 times the distance. So my goal has been trying to get up to that, no matter how slow I have to go to get there.

Second, I think mentally it is easier to keep going day after day when I have a distance goal for the week. I know that if I can get in a certain amount for the day, then I am closer to that amount for the week. On a related note, even during a workout, sometimes it easier if I am struggling to know that I only have 10 miles left on a bike ride, rather than 30 minutes, although it is pretty much the same.

I don't think there is a right way, and like I said I keep track of both, but lately I have been more focused on total mileage if nothing else because it is more fun to easier for me to motivate than going by time.