Monday, August 11, 2008

Monday: 56 mile bike; 3 mile run; abs

a.m. 3 mile run. 8:23. Felt great. I got off to a late start as I didn't sleep well last night. I slept at altitude for the first time -- I got my hands on an altitude tent which took me 3 hours to set up yesterday. Anyway, I set the unit for what I thought was supposed to be 3000 feet and let it fill the tent for 30 minutes and tested the O2 levels and it was sitting on 18.9% - 3000 feet. Perfect. Then I went to sleep. I don't know what happened while I was sleeping, but I was tossing and turning the whole night and never felt like I got into a deep sleep. I woke up this morning and tested the O2 levels again and now it was sitting at just below 5,000 feet--while supposedly not that high, obviously too high for me to start. I'll have to figure out how this thing works. I'll start tracking my altitude acclimatization on the right column of the blog.

If you haven't seen this, you need to.



p.m. 56 mile bike. I felt incredible. My legs opened up right from the beginning of the ride and so I knew I would have a good one. On the other hand, my heart rate was ridiculously low. One night in the altitude at 3-5000 ft. Wow! I'm joking of course. It was actually kind of scary until it started to rise gradually during the second half of the ride. Hopefully, I am not overtraining. Tomorrow will be easy recovery efforts. Total ride. FL: 2:25:22; 263w; 138bpm; 23.1mph.





I tried to brick it, and actually felt great. I had run about half a mile at 7:30min/mi pace until I literally ran into two deers, one male, one female. I live right by a wilderness park. I have seen deer while running before and it is always very cool. Usually, however, I see them when I am actually running in the park. Tonight, I was running on the sidewalk of a major street. And there they were. It completely freaked me out. I stopped literally in my tracks. The male was huge. They were staring me down, and I didn't move. I just stood there for what felt like an eternity until they lost interest and went back into the bushes. I then walked home. It was awesome. I wish I had my camera.

6 comments:

Fred Doucette said...

The altitude tent sounds pretty cool. Do you do most of your biking outside or on a computrainer?

Ironboom said...

99.9% of my rides are on the Computrainer. I've ridden outside once since last November. In addition to improving my cycling fitness immeasurably, the Computrainer saves quite a bit of time. I am literally on my bike within 5 minutes of waking up and I can bike until late at night. That has been key for me in trying to fit in a lot of volume.

Anonymous said...

dude, are you really sleeping in a tent now at night?
-Gregg

Ironboom said...

Yep, now camping out in the mountains-yet in my place. It's great.

Anonymous said...

IronBoom is collecting all the tri toys...I'm jealous!!

DME1

Ironboom said...

DME1 - Of course. That's the reason for the day job. And of course, it motivates me more. I can't justify buying all the toys if I don't actually train....