Saturday, August 30, 2008

Saturday: 135 mile bike; 11 mile run; 3 mile swim; abs

Wow! I love this sport! There are some great sports out there but I can't think of any other one that rewards hard work as much as Ironman. Ironman is effing awesome.

Today I had the best workout of my life. I have never felt so good. I literally had tears in my eyes during the bike ride, and not from the sweat and salt that was running into them--yes, I am a bit of a puss.

Started out with a 9 mile run this morning. Warmed up with with the first mile at 9:14 (6.5mph) on the treadmill and gradually increased the pace every ten minutes by .1 mph. I also ran 9 minutes and then walked one minute. 9.05 miles. 1:22. 9:03 min/mi.

I then went to get breakfast. I had a bagel with lox, onions, tomatoes, and capers. And then I had two more bagels without anything on it -- a chocolate chip bagel and a salt bagel. I knew today was going to be a long day so I wanted the carbs. But starting September 1, bread is out of my diet.

I then digested for 1 hour, drank some Gatorade and then went to the pool for a 3 mile swim. I don't know how fast I swam--I am sure not that fast--but it was the best I have ever felt in the water. I felt like I was gliding. The one thing that has helped me most for the swim is that I switched to bilateral breathing every other stroke about a month ago. I was getting some pain on my left lat and thought I was overusing it relative to my right lat. So I made the switch. At first, I couldn't breath to my right side; it felt very awkward, but now I feel like my whole stroke is much smoother, though still slow. I felt awesome though and know I definitely went harder than I usually do as my triceps hurt a little tonight--and I rarely hurt after workouts these days--but in a good way, like when you first go lifting. 3 miles. ~1:30.

I then went to buy some water, Gatorade, and Cliff bars for the ride. I passed by this pizza place, which smelt too good to pass up. So I got a slice, which is also off the diet starting September. Got the drinks. Ate a Cliff bar. Chugged a Red Bull. And got on the bike. I wanted at least 112, but was hoping for more depending on how I was feeling. As soon as I started, I felt awesome. I went through a couple of rough patches during the first 56 miles as my legs were warming up. I think it took longer than usual because of the morning run. But once my muscles opened up, I felt like I could have ridden all night. I really had to hold myself back. That is the hardest part of every workout these days, but the key for me is to not get so tired that I can't train the next day.

Once I crossed 56 miles, before I knew it, I was already at 112, and my legs kept getting stronger and stronger and my power just kept increasing and increasing. I felt invincible. So I staid on. I really did want to stay on all night. But I ran out of Gatorade. So I got off a little over 6 hours.

6:05. 135 miles. 246 watts. 137bpm. 22.2mph. I drank 4 32oz. bottles of Gatorade and 2L of water and ate 3 Cliff bars. I probably didn't need so many calories, but I ate two Cliff bars during the first 56 miles, when I was going through the rough patches, thinking I needed more calories.



Then I wanted to do a quick brick just to see how my legs would hold up. Chugged another Red Bull and went off for a 20 minute brick run. 8.09 min/mi. Felt great, but a marathon is a long way to go. Hopefully, I still have enough time to get to where I want to be.

I had some pasta and milk for recovery--though I wasn't really hungry, I thought I should eat something.

Wow. I feel great and am really happy with where my fitness is 9-10 weeks out. If only I could get my swim and especially my run better....

No comments: