Monday, June 15, 2009

Preparation Phase - Week 1 Summary

The first week of the preparation phase went as planned. On the bike, I managed to two Tempo rides of 1 hour each, and one ride of Steady State Intervals. The goal of the this period is to build up to (1) 4-5 hours of Tempo per week, completed in two rides (2-2.5 hours per ride), (2) two rides of 2-3 x 20 min intervals at slightly below lactate threshold, and (3) 2-4 hours of above aerobic threshold outside on the TT bike (done in two rides).

I would like to build my run up from 30-40 miles within the next 13 weeks. I'm not concerned with running fast yet. I just want to be able to run without any pain. As I mentioned before, I am eliminating all double runs, as I think it was hurting more than helping me at this point - i.e., not enough recovery time.

I have finally started to swim consistently. My goal is to build up to where I am comfortably swimming 60 minutes at a time. Unfortunately, like last year, I no doubt have waited too long to start swimming. Nevertheless, I will gradually build up the swim over the next 3 months, rather than rush straight into long swims. I don't have the strength yet to really swim more than 30 minutes at a time.

Week 1 Totals.

S: 10,227 yds. 3:16

B: 412 miles. 20:01

R: 24 miles. 3:37

W: 3x/week.

Weight on 6/15: 164 lbs. Somehow, despite training more and eating healthier/less, I weigh more than on 6/1. Maybe I have more muscle from lifting?

No comments: