Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Wednesday: 66 mile bike; 1903 yd swim; strength

Bike Endurance and Fist Drill Swim

As my fitness improves, my motivation grows. I don't think I have ever been this motivated. I'm kicking myself for not starting my swim training earlier. As it becomes easier to get the distance in, I am (finally) really enjoying it. While I want to swim much more, I need to be cautious in building up to prevent injury.


S: 36 min. 1903 yds. Because the pool that I swim at is a little less than 24 yds, I land up getting these weird non-round numbered distances. Today I did most of the swim with my hands making a fist. I have read that doing this (a) reduces the strain on your shoulders, thus reducing the risk of injury, and (b) gives you a better feel for the water and improves body position. I'll start incorporating these drills more often. The workout was 10 lengths w/u, 6x10 lengths fisted, 10 lengths normal. I could definitely notice a difference once I swam unfisted for the last 240yds. I felt much silkier/smoother.

B: 3:02. 125-135bpm. 223w. Felt great. I find that I am holding myself back on the bike, which is a good thing. I feel ready to let loose. In due time....Tomorrow I have intervals.

R: Off. My hip didn't feel quite right in the morning, but by the end of the day, it was fine. It's strange; no pain or discomfort while biking or lifting, but feels weird when walking.

W: Getting stronger....2x8 pullups; 6x25 pushups. 3x12 legs (press, curl, extension, hip ab/adductor, calf raises); abs.

No comments: