Monday, July 13, 2009

Preparation Phase - Week 5 Summary

This week started out as a bike regeneration/recovery week. I felt very fresh come Wednesday/Thursday and had my best workout so far this week on that Thursday. Other than that ride, and while my bike volume was high, all rides were pretty easy.

Swim was standard. Mentally I struggled a little this week. But still got decent volume in.

Not much to say about the run. More rest is needed. I'm getting an MRI at the end of this week; hopefully I can fully recover in another 1-3 weeks.

I feel much more fit and much stronger than I did 1-2 months ago. Things are going in the right direction on the swim and bike. As for the bike, I'm ditching the interval workouts for now. They left me too tired and my other workouts suffered as a result. For the next 3 weeks and the next training block, I am solely concentrating on Tempo workouts. So I will be doing only 3 workouts on the bike: (1) Recovery; (2) Endurance (about 200-230 watts); and (3) Tempo. My goal is to get the Tempo workouts up to 2-2.5 hours. Once I finish this Tempo block, then I'll move to the intervals in 4 weeks time.

As for the swim, I think I am improving. I feel more fluid with my stroke. I'll start doing 20-30 minute time trials every now and then to see whether I am in fact improving. I would like to up the volume a little more over the next 3 weeks.

Run sucks. Not much to report.

Week Summary

B: 421 miles
R: 6 miles
S: 5.7 miles
W: 2xs

No comments: