Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Wednesday: 56 mile bike; 2400 yd swim; strength

Easy Bike + Swimming Drills

S: Today I did drills and didn't really do any real swimming except for warm up and cool down. I am hoping that improved technique will help me go faster. I did drills for my first Ironman and that was my fastest swim time by far, so I am hoping they will work again this year. Couldn't have been more boring and couldn't help but think of Karate Kid "Wax on, wax off Danielson."

I did four drills: (1) Chest Lean; (2) Three Stroke Kick-On-Side; (3) One Arm Superman; and (4) Catch-Up. Workout was (pool is ~24 yds): 240w/u; 10x48 drills; 240c/d). It took a loooong time to get through all of them. 52 minutes.

B: 56 mile easy ride (115-135bpm). 2:37. 212 watts. Have some lingering muscular fatigue from last week (Saturday in particular) but felt pretty good. Should be just about fully recovered by tomorrow.

R: Off.

W: 2x8 pullups. 6x25 pushups. 3x12 leg press, extension, curls. 2x12 lunges, squats. abs.

Diet sucked today. Passed by a burger joint and caved into the smell and then temptation. Double hamburger, seasoned fries, and a milkshake to top it off. As my niece says, "ummm, it was deeeelicious!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A lot of miles. Not sure how many are quality. Seems to me that too many of your miles are junk miles, meaning you aren't taxing your system enough. From what I read physiological improvements are dependent on increasing and varying the load on your muscles, not sure what these long days of easy riding does for you.

Anonymous said...

maybe true if he was training for short course and trying to develop anaerobic speed- but there is something to be said about volume especially for Ironman....