Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Wednesday: 84 mile bike; 2185 yd swim; strength

S: 45 min. Did drills today. Very boring. Was counting down the minutes. Workout was:

250 w/u;
5x50 kick;
250 pull w/buoy;
250 free w/fins;
5x50 Drills w/fins (Head down; side w/3 stroke; superman; catch-up);
350 c/d.

B: 4+ hours in two rides. Morning ride was 3+ hours easy. 210w. Evening ride was 60min recovery after weights. I've now done 4 easy/recovery days in a row. I feel fit, strong, and fresh. If I feel good when I get on the bike in the morning, then I may end my regeneration period tomorrow; otherwise I'll end it on Fri or Sat.

Anonymous: Regeneration is just term used to describe several consecutive days of recovery rides. I've read about it in several books. Seems to have worked for me in the past. The name of it is not important. The basic idea is to stress yourself for 3 weeks, and then unload during a regeneration phase (~5 days or so), so that your body can rebuild itself (stronger) from the stress. (Your body only rebuilds itself, gets stronger, and improves power when you are resting/recovering - not when you are actually going hard - that is why I place so much emphasis on recovery rides rather than going hard all the time, a mistake I made last year). Think of regeneration as a drawn out recovery workout or as a mini-taper until the next building block, but riding only recovery/easy.

R: Off. Will try to run tomorrow, but if I'm being completely honest, hip/groin doesn't feel much better. Strange injury. Don't feel it while lifting, on the bike, or while swimming, but feel lots of discomfort when walking.

W: 6x30 push ups; 2x10 pullups; 4x15 legs (press, curl, extension, calf raises, hip ab/adductors); 2x15 squats and 2x15 lunges (body weight only); abs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you thought of downloading the tdf courses and just riding along virtually as you watch the tdf on tv